INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE PRECIOUS BODY AND BLOOD
- Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are to gather in the Sacristy 15 minutes prior to Mass to pray together and receive instruction from Father. This is very important.
- Please be seated at the end of a pew if possible, thereby minimizing any disruption to the congregation as you head toward the Altar during Communion.
BEFORE AND DURING HOLY COMMUNION:
- Ministers will gather and align at the base of the altar steps during the singing of the Lamb of God/Agnus Dei.
- After the priest has himself consumed the Precious Body and Blood at the Altar, divide the group of ministers in half and proceed to the hand cleanser table. Dispense and use the hand cleanser, then align at the side of the Altar, waiting to receive Holy Communion yourself.
- The priest or Deacon will provide to you either a Chalice or Ciborium for distribution to the congregation.
- Once you receive your sacred vessel, proceed to the base of the Altar steps for distribution.
- If you present at the side of the Altar with the Altar servers, please distribute to them.
- If you present at the side of the Altar with non-ambulatory congregants, please move to these individuals to distribute to them at their seat.
AT THE COMPLETION OF HOLY COMMUNION:
- If you have distributed the Precious Body, return the Ciborium to the Altar, and rinse your fingers in the bowl on the table. The purpose is to remove any particles of Host that may be retained on your fingertips.
- If you have distributed the Precious Blood, consume the remaining Precious Blood while standing at the credence table, and then place the Chalice and purificator on the credence table. Please do not place the purificator inside the Chalice.
- After returning the Vessels, all ministers will align at the foot of the steps in front of the Altar. When Father has returned the Ciborium containing the Precious Body to the Tabernacle, bow and return to your pew.
- One minister is needed after each Mass in the Sacristy to cleanse the Sacred Vessels for the following Mass.
- On the Mass assignment schedule, one listed minister will have an asterisk (*) by his/her name. This person is designated as the cleanser for that Mass.
- If you are unable to fulfill your responsibility in this matter, it is your responsibility to find a replacement.
- Please review the instructions on the "Cleansing the Sacred Vessels" page on how to properly handle and treat the Sacred Vessels before you arrive for your assignment.